Community Based Dermatology Service
Service Quality Performance Report
April 16 – March 2017
The service is led by Dr Fayyaz Chaudhri, GP with extended role in dermatology (GPwER) with support and mentorship provided by Professor Philip Harrison, consultant dermatologist.
Dr Nicola Cawley, Dr Richard Sloan, Dr Maria Martin,Dr. Jen Smith and Dr. Raluca Rotar GPwSIs, also provide regular clinics for the service.
Sister Jackie Shearer, our dermatology nurse specialist, provides vital support for psoriasis and eczema patients giving them the confidence, skills and knowledge to manage their condition better and be in more control of their lives.
This NHS service is provided from London Road Community Clinic and Arnside House Surgery in Carlisle, Cleator Moor Health Centre, Orchard House Surgery in Workington, Cockermouth Hospital, Penrith Hospital and Temple Sowerby Medical Practice and is available to book via Choose and Book following a referral from the patient’s GP surgery.
Dr Martin White, GPwER in minor surgery, performs the skin operations for the dermatology patients needing treatment, with support from Mr Graham Putnam, maxillofacial surgeon, Dr Christy Chou, plastic surgeon and Dr Jo Grove, GPwSI in minor surgery.
The average waiting time from referral to appointment is 6 weeks with all patients treated within 18 weeks of referral.
Referrals are triaged by the administration team and passed to Dr Chaudhri if unsure whether they meet evidence based referral criteria.
Verruca, skin tags, seborrheic keratosis are rejected if they don’t meet the requirements for NHS treatment.
Patients are advised they can phone in for advice following their consultation. GPs also phone for advice on a variety of problems which helps cut down on the number of referrals.
A series of dermatology education events have taken place over the past year in afternoons and evenings which have proved very popular with GPs and nurses.
Several GPs have also taken the opportunity to sit in on clinics to learn more about dermatology.
A successful dermatology study day was held at Rheged, Penrith for 73 GPs and practice nurses in May. Lectures were given by consultant dermatologists and GPwSI with ample time for discussion. Topics covered included facial rashes, lesion diagnosis, acne, eczema and summertime skin problems.
Between April 2016 and March 2017 9,088 consultations were carried out.
On average 3 clinics a week are held by two or three doctors and a dermatology nurse specialist, with a consultant dermatologist available a minimum of once a week.
The ratio of new patient appointment to follow up appointment is 1:1
A breakdown of the appointments provided is shown in the table below:
Locality Activity Referrals
We receive a high proportion of referrals from Allerdale but have seen a steady increase in referrals from Carlisle over the past year.
The service provides a lesion screening service for patients, as well advice and management for a range of skin problems.
- 65 patients were referred on by 2WW to CIC
- 9 patients were referred to Changing Faces
- 29 patients to CIC dermatology
- 6 for wig vouchers
- 32 pts were referred to other specialities such as urology, ophthalmology, plastics, gastroenterology, respiratory, rheumatology, endocrinology, genetics and orthopaedics
- 1540 patients were referred for skin surgery in a community setting
- 43 Patients were referred for UVB therapy
- 6 patients were referred on for patch testing
- 11 patients were referred to Newcastle for Mohs surgery
At each episode of care the referring GP is notified by letter within 5 days of the consultation. A copy of this letter is also sent, or given at the time of the appointment, to the patient. The friends and family test form is available at clinics for the patients to fill in, with boxes available in the waiting room for return of the survey.
Patients are also given the opportunity to give feedback on ‘iwantgreatcare’ and through our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
Over 60% patients have given feedback with 98% of patients saying they would recommend the service to their family and friends.
Patient comments include
April – June 2016
- Treated very well. Everything explained.
- Excellent doctor. Really good advice. Given reassurance and feedback. Can contact if any further problems.
- The doctor and staff were very nice and easy to talk to.
- Brilliant service!
- I think that the ladies who dealt with me were lovely. They listened and helped me understand that’s why I like this clinic because all the people are lovely.
- Let people have appointments near their house as a routine thing – not everyone has cars everyday so they can travel!
- Everything a service should be – on time, short waiting times, kind caring knowledgeable staff.
- Very good service. Did not expect anything to be done today but it was done very well.
- I was very impressed by Dr Norris, most professional and informative. I am very grateful to have been directed to someone I have confidence in.
July – September 2016
- Having suffered for many years with facial acne rosacea I am delighted that I am now almost clear. The service and consultations have been very informative. Jackie has been very helpful.
- The doctor and nurses were very kind and I didn’t feel as if I was bothering them and wasting their time.
- I have always been treated with courtesy. I find the care-treatment and professionalism excellent.
- I am so pleased I was referred here. After four months of “suffering” I feel 95% mended. I am touching wood, crossing my fingers and hoping that my improvement continues. Thank you very much
- All satisfactory from reception to nurse although the clinic was hard to find as this was our first visit.
- I was very satisfied with the treatment I received. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful.
- An excellent service start to finish followed by an excellent backup service. Well informed.
October – December 2016
- Doctors and nurses lovely and very informative and helpful
- Efficient, quick, friendly
- Extremely efficient and excellent service
- Good amount of information and guidance provided. Very pleased with the consultation
- Great service with a smile, always on time. The treatment and advice was always spot on. Thanks very much
- I have received excellent treatment and am extremely grateful for Dr Norris perseverance with my problem
- I was dealt with full respect and concern, I was also offered continuing treatment if required - high commendable
January – March 2017
- Prior to being prescribed methotrexate I was advised to research the drug and decide for myself if I was willing to use as a treatment. This was brilliant advice by the Doctor as it allowed me to weigh up the pros and cons of taking this drug
- Really like being greeted with "My name is"
- Service and treatment were all very good. Made to feel at ease, treatment quick. Very happy
- The Doctor and staff were very nice and easy to talk to
- The service provided was excellent from start to finish, lovely people, very friendly, professional with a wealth of knowledge
- Throughout the whole treatment, I have been very satisfied with the care and information given. Very impressed with the staff and the efficiency and consideration shown
- Treated very well, everything explained
- Very flexible in terms of changing location to make appointment closer to home. Very happy with the service. Thank you very much.
- The team is probably the best team in Cumbria. I am most grateful for the attention and care that I experienced. Well done.