Community based Hernia Repair Service
Service Quality Performance Report
April 2016 – March 2017
A community based Hernia Repair Service is delivered by Dr Martin White, GPwER in minor surgery, who is mentored and supported by Mr Sam Dresner, Consultant General and Gastrointestinal Surgeon at James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough.
The service is provided from London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle and Maryport Community Hospital.
Initial assessment appointments are also offered from Captain French Surgery, Kendal
The service is indirectly bookable via Choose and Book.
The average waiting time from referral to assessment is 4 weeks
All patients were assessed and treated within 18 weeks of referral. All patients are sent a comprehensive patient information leaflet on the operation and directed to our website for further information.
311 patients were seen by the service from April to March 2017 inclusive.
193 (62%) patients had hernia repair carried out under local anaesthetic.
118 patients were assessed and either discharged or referred onto the Acute for GA surgery.
77 patients had a range of co morbidities including ischaemic heart disease, atrial fibrillation, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes and obesity
Following an initial assessment by Dr White;
• 37 patients were referred on to secondary care for surgery under general anaesthetic
• 4 patients sent for ultrasound
• 79 patients were discharged back to their GP
Reasons for discharge ranged from asymptomatic, benign divarication of recti and epididymitis.
Following their procedure all patients are followed-up the next day by telephone, and all offered a review in clinic 6 weeks later.
• 6 patients recorded as having a post-operative infection requiring antibiotics
• 5 patients reported having more pain than they expected post operatively
100% of patients are forwarded a survey 6 weeks post-op questioning them on a range of subjects including the booking arrangements, scar satisfaction, effectiveness of local anaesthetic, clinic facilities, doctor and nurse manner, and overall satisfaction.
142 questionnaires have been returned to date with 98% saying they would be extremely likely to recommend the service to their family and friends.
1 patient found the experience unsatisfactory but did not wish to attend for a review.
96% patients rated the service as excellent
2% patients rated the service as good
2% patients rated the service as satisfactory
• 100% of patients said the nursing and medical staff did all they could to make them feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible during their stay
• 98% of patients said the doctor listened and treated them in a manner they appreciated, and explained the problem and treatment to their satisfaction.
• 98% of patients indicated that the care instructions given after their operation to take home was explained to their satisfaction.
• 96% of patients said the painkillers provided after surgery were satisfactory.
• 98% of patients said the found it useful that the doctor telephoned them the following day
• 94% of patients reported they had no complications following their surgery
• 100% of patients were satisfied with the clinic facilities
Patient comments included
April – September 2016
- I found the whole experience to be very well organised and the treatment /procedure was carried out with the utmost care and attention to myself before and after the operation. Thank you for a stress-free experience.
- Timescale was only weeks. Dr White also said: "do you want surgery now or later" meaning weeks or months. Spot on.
- The treatment worked properly - the pain stopped very quickly and both the swelling and the scar went away sooner than I expected. But, more importantly, the professionals and staff are highly competent and they were exceptionally courteous and friendly!
- The procedure has resulted in some pain and discomfort, this was expected. The hernia was much deeper and bowel was bonding to the muscle. Never the less the help, treatment and service was excellent. What a fantastic team. I would recommend this team and process to the "Almighty". Really good people and service all the way. That is something you cannot buy, only hope to get and I did. I wish this team well.
- From the first consultation with Dr White to the operation itself I felt at ease with everything and was astounded as to how well everything went. Everybody involved was excellent.
- Great services. Slight problem with sharp pain during op but that was resolved - pleased with result, would go again if necessary.
- The treatment of myself at Maryport Cottage Hospital by all was excellent, also the admin staff. Couldn't fault anything.
- The experience made me feel that the doctors and nurses really cared about me and treated me with real kindness and care. 10/10 service.
- It was quick from first appointment to seeing Dr White. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly helpful staff. They kept me informed throughout the operation.
- Dr Martin White, "Surgeon Sam" and the nurses/assistants are the very definition of effective teamwork. This is the second hernia they have repaired for me and the clinical and care standards have always been absolutely first class. Thank you!
October 2016 – December 2016
- A first class service.
- All in all the treatment provided was very good, probably the best service I have personally experienced from medical services and that's including private healthcare which I have also been receiving recently. This is a service I would highly recommend to anyone.
- Doctors excellent, nurses very caring.
- Everything was exemplary from start to finish … even my driver was given coffee!
- Excellent service. Many thanks to Dr White and Dr Dresner and their nurses!
- Excellent. Admin - efficient. Medical - highly competent, caring, HUMAN!
- I always felt at ease; in fact, a mirror to observe the procedure would have been very interesting.
- I am very happy with all aspects of the treatment I received regarding my hernia repair procedure; can't praise Dr Martin White and his team enough.
- I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere thanks to Dr White, Dr Dresner and Amanda. Their cheerful banter allayed my fears and helped make the occasion into an "almost" laughable, enjoyable occasion. Many, many thanks to them all.
- My treatment was excellent, I would recommend your Maryport clinic to anyone and everyone. The staff and Dr Martin White were outstanding. Thank you to everyone.
January to March 2017
- The clinic Dr White has with his nursing staff is more than satisfactory. Dr White was excellent in every way possible and the same goes for the other doctor who was with him and the nursing staff and the clinic itself.
- The service was first class from admin to health providers, I was very impressed. The recovery is taking slightly longer than I anticipated but that has nothing to do with your service. I would have no hesitation in suggesting your team to others.
- Totally reassured especially with the staff and cleanliness outstanding - not rushed. Doctors aware when I required more anaesthetic and was administered with no hesitation. Appointment and waiting time unbelievable. Highly recommend to any patient.
- Treatment was extremely professional at all times of the procedure. Couldn't ask for better. Really much appreciated.
- Very fast service from initial appointment to the procedure. All nurses and doctors very friendly, put totally at ease. Any pain experienced was acted upon quickly.
- Surgeons and staff were very professional and made me feel at ease.
- I found the doctors and rest of the team very professional and patient; I hope I never have to have another hernia operation (!!) but if I do I would definitely have it with Dr White and his team, thank you for looking after me.
- I was very happy with the prompt appointment of the initial assessment and the choice I had regarding the date of surgery, this was very flexible. The staff were very helpful. I was confident in the surgical team's ability.
- This team in Cumbria is unbelievably efficient. After seeing my GP I had an appointment in town the following week and a date for surgery about a month after that. As I was able to take the local anaesthetic option, disruption to normal life was minimal. I have had a lot of excellent care from the NHS over the ears but every step of this treatment pathway was exceptional and I would recommend the team to anyone.