Community Based Minor Skin Surgery Service
Service Quality and Performance Report
April 2016 – March 2017
The service is provided by Dr Martin White, GP with extended role (GPwER) in minor surgery, who is mentored and supported by Mr Graham Putnam, consultant maxillofacial surgeon and Dr Christy Chou, consultant plastic surgeon.
Dr Jo Grove, GPwSI in minor surgery also provides a fortnightly clinic. The service is provided from Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle, Captain French Surgery, Cleator Moor Health Centre and Keswick Hospital.
The service is bookable via Choose and Book though the majority of patients are assessed first in the community dermatology service before being listed for their procedure.
A photograph of the lesion is taken and attached to the patient records where appropriate and triaged by Dr White who allocates the time required for surgery and the clinician to perform the operation.
The average waiting time from assessment to procedure is 4 weeks.
Patients are given a comprehensive preoperative patient information leaflet detailing what to expect on the day, medication, potential risks and consent procedure.
Following skin graft surgery, patients are provided with an advice sheet on wound care with information also provided for the practice nurse on the removal of sutures. Where appropriate, the patients return to clinic for the removal of their sutures.
All patients were assessed and treated within 18 weeks of referral.
6 post-operative infections were reported which required antibiotics.
1729 minor skin operations have been carried out from April 2016 – March 2017.
All SCC were referred to MDT for review.
100% lesions excised are sent for histology.
A minimum of 50% of patients are forwarded a patient survey 4 weeks post-op questioning them on a range of subjects including the booking arrangements, clinic facilities, doctor and nurse manner, and overall satisfaction.
Response rate to date 44%
99% patients said they were treated with courtesy throughout from reception to clinician.
97% patients said they were given a clear explanation of their condition and treatment
94% patients said they were involved as much as they wanted to be in their care and treatment.
71% patients rated the service excellent and 27% good
98% patients said they were extremely likely or likely to recommend the service to their family and friends.
Patients are also given the opportunity to give feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ or our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
Patient Comments Include:
April – September 2016
- Everybody was very friendly and helpful ..... and the result has been much better than expected.
- My reception was good (very good) and the op was very satisfactory and am very pleased with the outcome.
- Cannot fault the health service or the professionals who carried out my treatment. They made me feel at ease and comfortable. Excellent service right through from booking to getting results. Thank you.
- I had first class treatment. The doctor and nurse were lovely and put me at ease right away. My treatment was quick and painless. I thank them both for this.
- Very pleased with the prompt and professional service given to me.
- Excellent throughout all the time.
- Operation was carried out with great care and was very much appreciated.
- I would like to thank Dr. Martin White for doing such a great professional job both in explaining everything in great detail before starting and dealing with my operation.
- Nothing more to say really - I was offered a choice of venues within a very short time and was seen at a time which suited me. How I wish NHS statistics nationally at the moment could echo my experience!
- I cannot praise highly enough Keswick Clinic and those I encountered who work there.
- The whole experience from my initial visit to my GP to the surgery was excellent; even given a choice of hospitals and times. Thank you.
- 100% happy with everything from staff to treatment. Thank you very much.
- 1st class treatment by caring people.
- An excellent service with friendly, professional staff. I was made to feel at ease and had full confidence in the procedure. Thank you.
October – December 2016
- Courtesy - concern for my welfare. If I could rate it out of 100 it would come to 110! Service was excellent, kindness very acceptable - I cannot write otherwise. I am grateful to the staff and doctors for all they did. Thank you for everything.
- Dr. Martin White was very professional, helpful and courteous. The minor op was painless and quick, would recommend to anyone needing a minor op. Excellent service.
- Excellent treatment from my original appointment at St Paul's with GPsI referring me the same day to Dr Martin White performing an excellent procedure with a great non-complicated recovery. He wrote as soon as the histology was in to reassure me. A1 service from an A1 team.
- Excellent. Brilliant stitching - hardly a mark despite large number!
- From past experiences of hospitals elsewhere in the country, Keswick Hospital was a breath of fresh air and has restored my faith in the NHS.
- From the initial referral to the dermatologist, to the completion of the procedures, the process was quick and efficient.
- I was put completely at ease by all members of staff both before and during my procedure.
January - March 2017
- I was very impressed with the whole procedure, from my first visit to my GP and subsequent referral. For once, the NHS worked well - including the administration. Thank you.
- Impressed at time - from being diagnosed to having minor op. Thank you.
- In and out very quickly. Excellent service and first class operation carried out.
- It was a shame it took over 5 years, 2 doctors and a professor before Dr Chaudhri diagnosed my condition. I couldn't fault Cumbria Medical Services.
- Model for the rest of the NHS!
- Prior to having a lesion removed I was apprehensive because of where the lesion was. Dr White's calm and gentle manner set me at my ease. Thank you.
- Thank you - the treatment from all the professionals was first class.
- The doctor was really nice, coming for me himself on each visit. Each appointment was right on time, no waiting around.
- The service at all times was excellent. Thank you for all the attention I received.
- The staff were outstanding throughout.
- Thoroughly professional, friendly and reassuring. Thank you.
- Under the circumstances all the treatment I received was first class.
- Very efficient throughout the procedure and treated with courtesy and compassion by the doctor and nurse.
- Very good efficient service. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
- Very quick service from seeing specialist to having operation (4 days) brilliant.