Community Based Minor Skin Surgery Service
Service Quality and Performance Report
April 2017 – March 2018
The service is provided by Dr Martin White, GPwSI in minor surgery, who is mentored and supported by Mr Graham Putnam, consultant maxillofacial surgeon and Dr Christy Chou, consultant plastic surgeon.
Dr Jo Grove, GPwSI in minor surgery also provides a fortnightly clinic. The service is provided from Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle, Captain French Surgery, Cleator Moor Health Centre and Keswick Hospital.
The service is bookable via Choose and Book though the majority of patients are assessed first in the community dermatology service before being listed for their procedure.
A photograph of the lesion is taken and attached to the patient records where appropriate and triaged by Dr White who allocates the time required for surgery and the clinician to perform the operation.
The average waiting time from assessment to procedure is 4 weeks.
Patients are given a comprehensive preoperative patient information leaflet detailing what to expect on the day, medication, potential risks and consent procedure.
Following skin graft surgery, patients are provided with an advice sheet on wound care with information also provided for the practice nurse on the removal of sutures. Where appropriate, the patients return to clinic for the removal of their sutures.
All patients were assessed and treated within 18 weeks of referral.
6% Post-operative infections were reported which required antibiotics.
Between April 2017 and March 2018, 1531 Minor Skin Operations were carried out.
All SCC were referred to MDT for review.
A minimum of 50% of patients are forwarded a patient survey 4 weeks post-op questioning them on a range of subjects including the booking arrangements, clinic facilities, doctor and nurse manner, and overall satisfaction.
- 100% Patients said they were treated with courtesy throughout from reception to clinician.
- 99% Patients said they were given a clear explanation of their condition and treatment
- 100% Patients said they were involved as much as they wanted to be in their care and treatment.
- 96% Patients rated the service excellent and 4% good
- 99% Patients said they were extremely likely or likely to recommend the service to their family and friends.
Patients are also given the opportunity to give feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ or our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
Patient Comments Include:
April – September 2017
- The service and treatment was very good indeed with the result, the removal of the carcinoma and the treatment afterwards of the damaged skin, being successful. Good for you NHS and all happening locally!
- Arrived on time to be seen straightaway. Discussed all that was needed and procedure was quick and painless. I could not have asked for any better. Thank you.
- Completely satisfied with the overall treatment I received and very happy with the procedure that was carried out. It is healing very nicely. The doctor and nurse were very good and professional.
- Everything about treatment was spot on and I was treated with utmost professionalism all the way through. I found the whole experience from my first appointment with the community dermatology to receipt of this letter extremely well-managed and professional. I rate this service very highly and, as an operation manager for the NHS, I would benchmark this service as a standard we should all aspire to achieve. Excellent.
- The whole procedure was very quick. I was more anxious about catching the bus/waiting for the bus to and from the appointment! In my appointment prior to this, the specialist had explained the procedure in full. Therefore I was prepared, completely for this minor op and appreciated having it done. I wasn’t long in the clinic; I didn’t have to wait long.
- Efficient appointment – from seeing the doctor to the day of surgery. Friendly service put me at ease. Helpful staff, both in clinic and over the telephone. Thanks.
- The surgeon Dr Chou was brilliant, easy to communicate with. Two nurses, kind and caring, they all put my nervous self at ease.
- The two nurses assisting Dr White, I believe were Sue and Debbie were really friendly with plenty of banter helping me feel relaxed throughout the procedure.
- I was very pleased with the way I was treated by the doctor and staff. My appointment was prompt and I was dealt with speedily and efficiently and as painlessly as possible! I was given a phone number to call if I experienced any problems afterwards, luckily this was not needed and I was told what would happen next. All in all excellent treatment and a big thank you to all concerned.
- Staff on the phone very polite and helpful. Doctor and nurse at the surgery were great, made me feel at ease. An all-round good experience – the best I have had from the NHS. Thanks.
October – March 2018
- My experience was much better than I anticipated - treated very low key and friendly. The result is most pleasing as is the follow up information.
- From start to finish, extremely satisfied. NIce team of people. Job well done.
- Dr Martin White was very professional, helpful and courteous. The minor op was painless and quick, would recommend to anyone needing a minor op. Excellent care.
- Bit of a mix up with my appointment time but I am very happy with the treatment I received.
- I went to the wrong hospital but Dr White and his staff were kind enough to wait for me. Very much appreciated.
- Excellent treatment from my original appointment at St Paul's with GPsI referring me the same day to Dr Martin White performing an excellent procedure with a great non-complicated recovery. He wrote as soon as the histology was in to reassure me. A1 service from an A1 team.
- Excellent service from start to finish including Dr Martin White's surgery. Thank you for looking after me so well.
- Exceptional service - quick, friendly and LOCAL!
- I found all the staff were very good and professional; the nurse held my hand the whole time and made me feel very safe. Everything healed up and I have no scars.
- The only small criticism is that the waiting area at Hilltop Heights is very small and cramped. On the day I was treated there were some quite disturbed people present and I felt quite vulnerable as it was out of sight of any staff or receptionists.
For more information on this report or the minor skin surgery service please contact Pauline Stuart at email@example.com