Community Based Vasectomy Service
Service Quality and Performance Report
April 2016 – March 2017
The service is provided by Dr Martin White, GPwER in general surgery, from Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle, Keswick Hospital and Captain French Surgery, Kendal.
Dr Matthieu Bordenave, a consultant urologist from NCUHT also holds a monthly clinic. The service is indirectly bookable via Choose and Book and can be found under the speciality Urology with the clinic type GPwSI.
All patients are sent a comprehensive information leaflet prior to their procedure and directed to our website for further information including a video of the operation.
The average waiting time from referral to operation is 6 weeks All patients were operated on within 18 weeks of referral.
450 patients had a vasectomy performed between April 2016 and March 2017 using the no-scalpel vasectomy technique.
27 patients did not turn up for their appointment or decided against the procedure on the day.
There is a 16 week delay before the 1st sample is sent for processing so the results are only available to the end of January.
Of the 295 patients who have submitted samples so far:
- 270 (92%) of patients have been confirmed sterile on one or more samples.
- A subsequent sample is awaited from 25 patients (8%) as occasional sperm was identified on initial analysis.
- 12 patients have failed to give a sample so unable to provide clearance.
- 60 patients have yet to submit samples.
All patients are instructed verbally and in writing, to submit a semen specimen 16 weeks post vasectomy and additional samples at monthly intervals, until no sperm is identified on analysis. Patients are supplied with the appropriate containers and lab forms and are asked to post their samples in the stamped addressed envelopes provided.
Post Op Complications
- 5 patients reported having a post-operative infection needing antibiotics.
- 1 patient reported having excessive swelling of the testicle
- 2 patients were referred onto secondary care after difficulty palpating the vas.
All patients are given a survey to fill in immediately following the procedure and also a link to survey monkey for 14 weeks post-surgery for when they return their samples.
They are also given the opportunity to feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ and our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
98% patients who have fed back so far have rated the service as excellent or good.
386 patients responded to the on the day survey
134 patients have replied to the 4 month post-surgery survey.
April – September 2016
- Staff were great and made me feel completely at ease!
- Great staff made me feel very comfortable considering what I was going through
- Simple, painless, informative, left feeling very happy.
- Found the Dr and nurse very helpful and friendly. Excellent service for what could have been very stressful!!
- Very impressed with the Doctor and staff
- Found the whole team friendly and put me at ease. Thanks
- Excellent nurses and surgeon. Crack was good!
- Thank you very much, the service is excellent.
- Very helpful staff. Put me at ease
- Excellent throughout. Thank you
- Dr and nurse were very good and put me at ease!
- Very friendly staff helped put me at ease
- Fantastic staff
- Felt very comfortable, very friendly Doctor and Nurse. Everything very well explained pre/during/post op!
- Made me feel at ease straight away
- Excellent friendly staff
- Brilliant service, great medical staff. Thank you!
- Nothing to add as all was very good
- Very pleased with Doctor and two Ladies
- Very good service, made me feel very relaxed. Top marks. Would recommend them again 100%
- Don't worry - nothing to it!
- A lot better than I thought. Very friendly. Thanks
- Really relaxed approach. Top man and woman
- Doctors approach excellent, informative and relaxed.
October to March 2017
- Made a dreaded visit a greatly manged situation. Very pleased with all the staff’s professionalism and friendliness
- Lovely team, made me feel comfortable
- All the staff were very helpful and nice
- Excellent service with an easy going bedside manner
- Fantastic service from doctors and nurses, made to feel relaxed
- No problems- brilliant service
- Very nice nursing staff, kept my mind off procedure
- Staff very friendly, totally at ease, excellent
- Very good and professional, nurse brill
- Compliments to staff, felt at ease during the procedure
- Surgeon Matthieu and assistant were excellent
- Matthieu and Amanda made me feel at ease
- Excellent doctor and staff, credit to your service
- Friendly staff that answered all my questions
- Top service!
- Very happy with the procedure, the staff kept me calm and this reduced my anxiety
- Friendly, thoughtful doctor and nurses
- Excellent local service
- Surprised how fast it went
- Great service, the doctor and nurse were both excellent – very impressed
- For such a mentally, not physically significant procedure it was an excellent experience
- Excellent, very professional, friendly also