Community Based Ophthalmology Service
Service Quality Performance Report
April 2020 – March 2021
This NHS service is led by Dr Ross Kelly and Dr Ganga Nair, GPs with special interest in ophthalmology (GPER). They are supported by Sister Joy Kerr, ophthalmology nurse specialist and Julie Lennon, Specialist Optometrist.
The service is provided from Spencer House and Arnside House Surgery in Carlisle and Workington Community Hospital, and is available to book via Choose and Book following a referral from the patient’s GP surgery or optometrist.
The average waiting time from referral to appointment is 4 weeks with all patients treated within 18 weeks of referral.
All our referrals are triaged to make sure they are appropriate for the service, and if rejected, we provide guidance as to which is the most appropriate service to refer on to.
20 referrals were rejected. Minor ops need an accompanying PAT (prior approval ticket) or IFR approval before they are accepted for surgery.
Patients are advised they can phone in for advice following their consultation. GPs also phone for advice on a variety of problems which helps cut down on the number of referrals.
There will always be some patients who come to the GPER ophthalmology service and need onward referral to the hospital eye service; however these are minimal and based on complications found during the GPER consultation. One of the strengths of the GPER service is its ability to provide an alternative service for patients which removes the burden from secondary care and provides a self-contained treatment pathway within the community setting.
The average waiting time from referral to assessment is 4 weeks. All patients in this reporting period were assessed and treated within 18 weeks of referral.
The Ophthalmology service has seen a total of 2,778 patients in this reporting period.
The Ophthalmology service had a total of 120 DNA during this reporting period.
During this reporting period a total of 90 patients were referred to the Hospital Eye Service (HES) with the remaining either being discharged or having further care with Cumbria Medical Services arranged:
We have access to OCT scanning in both east and west clinics and are able to manage the majority of post op macular oedema in the community.
A percentage of patients are provided with a patient survey questioning them on a range of subjects including the booking arrangements, clinic facilities, doctor and nurse manner, and overall satisfaction.
Patients are also given the opportunity to feedback on ‘iwantgreatcare’ and via our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk .
100 questionnaires have been returned to date for this reporting period. In terms of the Friends and Family test
and recommending CMS:
100% of patients felt they were treated with courtesy throughout their appointment(s) by administration staff and health professionals.
98% felt they were involved as much as they wanted to be in decisions about their care and treatment.
Patient comments included
- Excellent Service.
- Very satisfied with the whole service.
- Sincerely grateful to the doctor and team for their prompt diagnosis and treatment plan.
- I was referred quickly and arranged an appointment within weeks…the staff were informative and professional. Thank you NHS.
- Very good service over the moon.
- Dr Kelly has been excellent. He listened carefully and prescribed eye drops that have brought down the pressure in my eyes. Excellent result!
- Simply efficient and professional all questions answered fully and explained well.
- Extremely pleased with the whole procedure, felt confident with Covid-19 arrangements and both doctor and nurse were efficient and friendly. Thank you.
- All tests were explained and fully described as to the results and implications. Very positive.
- Very efficient service with approachable friendly staff.
- Staff friendly and professional. I’m always treated as an individual, rather than just a number as at the hospital. Appointments are never rushed. Good parking!
- The treatment is preserving my eyesight for which I am grateful and the service is first class.
- Fantastic staff very friendly, great service.
- Cannot find any fault with my treatment.
- Felt very at ease, explanation given. Everyone always very helpful every time I have been.
- Courteous, helpful & friendly staff always a winner.
- No complaints. COVID restrictions were in place. Quite a long wait time but service was very good.
- Very friendly staff pleased with my visit.
- Appointment on time and very happy with the treatment.
- Dr Kelly was very professional, informative and friendly. A pleasure to have a consultation with him.