Community Based Dermatology Service
Service Quality Performance Report
April 2018 – March 2019
The service is led by Dr Fayyaz Chaudhri, GP with special interest in dermatology (GPER) with support and mentorship provided by Professor Philip Harrison, consultant dermatologist.
Our team of 8 GP specialists have considerable knowledge and experience and regularly attend courses and seminars to keep abreast of any developments in dermatology.
Sister Jackie Shearer, our dermatology nurse specialist, provides vital support for psoriasis and eczema patients giving them the confidence, skills and knowledge to manage their condition better and be in more control of their lives.
This NHS service is provided from Arnside House Surgery in Carlisle, Cleator Moor Health Centre, Orchard House Surgery in Workington, Cockermouth Hospital, Penrith Hospital and Temple Sowerby Medical Practice and is available to book via Choose and Book following a referral from the patient’s GP surgery.
Dr Martin White, GPER in minor surgery, performs the skin operations for the dermatology patients needing treatment, with support from Mr Graham Putnam, maxillofacial surgeon, Dr Christy Chou, plastic surgeon and Dr Jo Grove, GPER in minor surgery.
The average waiting time from referral to assessment is 4 weeks with all patients treated within 18 weeks of referral.
Referrals are triaged by the admin team and passed back to the GP surgery if they don’t meet the requirements for NHS treatment. Lesions of a benign nature such as skin tags, warts etc. will not be treated unless they meet evidence based criteria such as subject to trauma, increasing in size, irregular pattern, uncertainty of diagnosis. Any benign lesions that meet the criteria for treatment have a Prior Approval Ticket (PAT).
Patients are advised they can phone in for advice following their consultation. GPs also phone for advice on a variety of problems which helps cut down on the number of referrals.
The service holds regular teaching sessions for local GPs and nurses to improve knowledge of dermatology in primary care.
The education events have taken place over the past year in afternoons and evenings and have proved very popular with GPs and nurses.
Several GPs and trainees have also taken the opportunity to sit in on clinics to learn more about dermatology.
Between April 2017 and March 2018, 9687 consultations were carried out.
On average 3 clinics a week are held by two or three doctors and a dermatology nurse specialist, with a consultant dermatologist available a minimum of once a week.
The ratio of new patient appointment to follow up appointment is 1:1
A breakdown of the appointments provided is shown in the table below:
Included in those appointments:
The Dermatology service had a total of 431 DNA’s for the year. Patients are reminded by text message 2 days before their appointment to help cut down on non-attendance.
The community Dermatology Service treated a wide variety of different conditions during the year, including:
The Community Dermatology Service has referred on a total of 345 patients in this reporting period:
At each episode of care the referring GP is notified by letter within 5 days of the consultation. A copy of this letter is also sent, or given at the time of the appointment, to the patient.
The friends and family test form is available at clinics for the patients to fill in, with boxes available in the waiting room for return of the survey.
Patients are also given the opportunity to give feedback on ‘iwantgreatcare’ and through our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
Over 25% of patients have given feedback with 99% of patients saying they would recommend the service to their family and friends
Patient comments included
- Dr Chaudhri is very knowledgeable and made me feel 100% confident in his diagnosis. I would like to add my thanks for how I was treated.
- I was seen by the consultant initially and then by the dermatology nurse (Jackie). A very caring nurse, kind and sympathetic. I am very lucky to have been in her care! Thank you Jackie and everyone in the dermatology department. My skin is so much better.
- All very good - happy with advice and the service provided.
- Happy. Thank you
- Very good and reassuring
- I felt the doctor really cared about me
- Excellent, efficient service
- Very good thanks! Good parking, friendly staff and clean facilities.
- Lovely service and informative
- Dr Smith was lovely and caring - such a nice doctor. Thank you.
- Wonderful service and cannot thank staff enough!
- I was very happy with the level of service and care I have received.
- From access for appointment to treatment and results all were caring and efficient – also convenience of closer to home welcome.
- All good – thank you. Doctors and staff very kind and very reassuring.