Community Based Minor Skin Surgery Service
Service Quality and Performance Report
April 2018 – March 2019
The community minor surgery service is provided by Dr Martin White, GPER in minor surgery, who is mentored and supported by Mr Graham Putnam and Dr Christy Chou, Consultant Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgeons. Dr Jo Grove, GPER in minor surgery also provides a fortnightly clinic.
The service is provided from Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle, Keswick Hospital and Cleator Moor Health Centre.
Bookings are via NHS eReferral following GP referral, though the majority of patients are assessed first in the community dermatology service before being listed for their procedure.
A photograph of the lesion is taken in the dermatology clinic and attached to the patient records where appropriate, and triaged by Dr White who allocates the time required for surgery and the clinician to perform the operation.
Any benign lesions have to meet evidence based criteria before listing for surgery:
- Well documented evidence of significant pain
- Recurrent infection
- Subject to recurrent unavoidable trauma leading to bleeding
- Uncertain diagnosis, to rule out or confirm malignancy
Patients are given a comprehensive preoperative patient information leaflet detailing what to expect on the day, medication, potential risks and consent procedure.
Following skin graft surgery, patients are provided with an advice sheet on wound care with information also provided for the practice nurse on the removal of sutures. Where appropriate, the patients return to clinic for the removal of their sutures
The average waiting time from referral to assessment is 4 weeks and the average waiting time from assessment to procedure is 4 weeks. All patients in this reporting period were assessed and treated within 18 weeks of referral.
The community Minor Surgery service has seen a total of 1719 patients in this reporting period.
16 patients did not attend for their appointment.
Type of surgery performed from basic excision to maxillofacial procedure
All SCC and melanoma were referred to MDT for review.
100% lesions excised are sent for histology.
- 19 patients recorded as having a post-operative infection requiring antibiotics
A minimum of 30% of patients are forwarded a patient survey 4 weeks post-op questioning them on a range of subjects including the booking arrangements, clinic facilities, doctor and nurse manner, and overall satisfaction.
- 100% patients said they were treated with courtesy throughout from reception to clinician.
- 100% patients said they were given a clear explanation of their condition and treatment
- 100% patients said they were involved as much as they wanted to be in their care and treatment.
- 86% patients rated the service excellent and 11% good
- 100% patients said they were extremely likely or likely to recommend the service to their family and friends.
Patients are also given the opportunity to give feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ or our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk
74 surveys have been returned for this reporting period to date.
Patient comments included
- First class from making an appointment to getting the treatment.
- Liked the smaller clinic rather than going to a large hospital.
- Excellent service and friendly staff, procedure was quick and painless. One small change would be better signposting as I was unsure if I was in the correct clinic waiting room. (VCH).
- Excellent service and advice from start to finish. 1st class treatment from all concerned. A credit to the NHS. Thank you so much.
- I have used the service probably 8 times over 10 years, usually for BCC removal and have always been very satisfied.
- Everything about this system was wonderful from seeing Dr Smith at Penrith Hospital to my surgery at Keswick. I found Dr White and the two nurses very kind and thoughtful and felt really at ease. Everywhere was spotless. Thank you.
- Service and my treatment were first class. Best hospital I have been in
- Fantastic treatment. Special thank you to Dr Chou
- Very friendly staff. I didn't have to wait and they were very caring. I was anxious and they reassured me.
- The whole procedure was carried out with great skill and care. I could not have been happier with the treatment and would recommend it to anyone
- Everyone friendly, so completely at ease
- I can say my service was A*.
- I was completely satisfied with all my treatment.
- All of the medical staff were very friendly and professional. They made me feel really at ease. EXCELLENT. Thank you.
- Excellent service throughout. Thank you.
- I found the delivery of services by the doctor and medical staff to be exceptional.
- Every part of my treatment was excellent. Thank you.
- The treatment I received was very good. The surgery is close to home. With good parking, which makes a difference. Overall a positive experience.
- From my GP practice getting me the earliest available appointment with a specialist dermatologist to being treated only 8 days later was excellent.
- Excellent. I am very satisfied with the whole procedure. No problems. Thank you.
- I found Dr White and his team to be excellent in every aspect of the procedure.