Community Based Vasectomy Service
Service Quality and Performance Report
April 2018 – March 2019
The service is provided by Dr Martin White, GPER in minor surgery and Dr Matthieu Bordenave, consultant urologist for NCUH. Procedures are carried out in Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle and Keswick Hospital.
The service is indirectly bookable via NHS eReferral and can be found under the speciality Urology with the clinic type GPwSI.
All patients are sent a comprehensive information leaflet prior to their procedure and directed to our website for further information, including a video of the operation.
The average waiting time from referral to operation is 6 weeks. All patients in this reporting period were operated on within 18 weeks of referral.
The community Vasectomy Service has performed a total of 465 no-scalpel vasectomy procedures in the reporting period between April 2018 and March 2019.
10 patients did not attend for their appointment.
Following their procedure all patients are followed-up the next day by telephone, and all offered a review in clinic 6 weeks later.
- 9 patients recorded as having a post-operative infection requiring antibiotics
- 1 patients reported having excessive swelling of the testicle
All patients are instructed verbally and in writing, to submit a semen specimen 16 weeks post vasectomy and additional samples at monthly intervals, until no sperm is identified on analysis. Patients are supplied with the appropriate containers and lab forms and are asked to post their samples in the stamped addressed envelopes provided. The results listed below are for the results of samples returned during the period April to December 2018.
- Of the 358 procedures completed from April to December:
- 243 (68 %) have been confirmed sterile on one or more samples.
- 44 patients (12%) had non-motile sperm present after their 1st or 2nd sample so have been asked to provide a further sample
- 69 patients have not responded to reminders to send a sample
- 2 patients had motile sperm present after 3 samples so need a repeat vasectomy
All patients are given a survey to fill in immediately following the procedure and also a link to survey monkey for 14 weeks post-surgery for when they return their samples, therefore the below patient satisfaction results are for patients who had procedures in the last reporting period.
They are also given the opportunity to feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ and on our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk .
182 questionnaires have been returned to date.
Patient comments included
- Fantastic Service - Thank you
- A little strange having female assistants, but i got over that after anaesthetic. However a little to chatty for myself personally.
- Staff really supportive, really put me at ease, very helpful. Thank you
- Excellent staff made you feel very at ease
- Both members of staff helped me to feel at ease!
- Excellent manner all very good
- Very Happy Patient
- Thank you to the Doctor & assistants for making me feel very comfortable and at ease
- Excellent service felt very at ease and comfortable with everything and staff and doctor was excellent recommend this surgery to anyone.
- Completely happy with the procedure. Quick and easy
- Really made at ease by all of the team, made it and me at ease and relaxed
- All very professional and welcoming. Quick and easy
- Felt at total ease, all brilliant
- Everything was very professional and fast. Didn't feel a thing. Thank you
- Dr White and the assistants were very good and made me feel completely at ease. Would definitely recommend