Community Based Vasectomy Service
Service Quality Performance Report
April 2020 – March 2021
The service is provided by Dr Martin White, GPER in minor surgery. Procedures are carried out in Maryport Community Hospital, London Road Community Clinic, Carlisle and Keswick Hospital.
The service is indirectly bookable via NHS eReferral and can be found under the speciality Urology with the clinic type GPwSI.
All patients are sent a comprehensive information leaflet prior to their procedure and directed to our website for further information, including a video of the operation.
The average waiting time from referral to operation is 4 weeks. All patients in this reporting period were operated on within 18 weeks of referral.
The community Vasectomy Service has performed a total of 240 no-scalpel vasectomy procedures in the reporting period between April 2020 – March 2021.
2 patients did not attend for their appointment.
Following their procedure all patients are followed-up the next day by telephone, and all offered a review in clinic 6 weeks later. From the returned anonymous surveys it was noted that:
- 1 patients recorded as having a post-operative infection requiring antibiotics
- 21 patients reported having excessive swelling of the testicle
These survey returns also include Morecambe Bay patient results.
All patients are instructed verbally and in writing, to submit a semen specimen 16 weeks post vasectomy and additional samples at monthly intervals, until no sperm is identified on analysis. Patients are supplied with the appropriate containers and lab forms and are asked to post their samples in the stamped addressed envelopes provided. A reminder is sent to patients at 20 weeks if no sample has yet been provided. The results listed below are for the results of samples returned during the period April – December 2020:
Of the 161 procedures completed during April – December 2020:
|Number confirmed sterile on one or more samples||107|
|Number which had non-motile sperm present after their 1st or 2nd sample so have been asked to provide a further sample||14|
|Number of patients who have not responded to reminders to send a sample||27|
|Number pf patients who are yet to receive a reminder letter to submit their sample||12|
|Number of patients with motile sperm present after 3 samples||0|
|Number of patients deceased||1|
All patients are given a survey to fill in immediately following the procedure and also a link to survey monkey for 14 weeks post-surgery for when they return their samples, therefore the below patient satisfaction results are for patients who had procedures in the last reporting period. It is impossible to differentiate between NCCCG patients and MBCCG patients as responses are all anonymous. From the whole patient group we had the following responses listed below.
They are also given the opportunity to feedback via ‘iwantgreatcare’ and on our website www.cumbriamedicalservices.co.uk .
130 questionnaires have been returned to date.
Patients were asked to rate their experience of the service from Very Good, Good or Neither Good nor Poor:
Patient comments included
- Whilst it was an unpleasant experience the doctor and nurse were excellent throughout, making sure I was comfortable and remained supportive through the entire operation.
- Superb, very professional but with a very human touch from all staff involved. I felt totally safe and at ease throughout. Thank you.
- Dr White and the nurses put me at ease straight away, they were incredibly nice. I think there is a stigma about vasectomies, but I’ve told all my friends how easy and straight forward it all was.
- Thanks for the excellent care.
- Dr White and his staff were superb.
- Everything went smoothly and the doctor and assistant were fantastic.
- Well explained, made to feel comfortable. Quick professional service.
- Can’t fault the service one bit.
- Great team, made me feel comfortable.
- Nothing you could do better.
- Very professional and polite service. Conversations kept my mind off other things.
- Was really uneasy beforehand, but doctor and nurses made me feel at ease, excellent and professional.
- Dr and nurse were both very considerate. Made the procedure very comfortable!
- A great service. When I did feel a little pain the doctor gave more anaesthetic straight away.
- Information was great, the assisting staff were lovely and good at their distracting talk.
- Really nice relaxing appointment. I was put at ease and supported with conversation throughout.
- The assistants were a great help taking my mind off the procedure & making me comfortable. Doctor was also good and relaxing.
- Went perfect no pain.
- Excellent. I was a little nervous but put completely at ease. Enjoyed the crack!
- Brilliant manner, professional attitude. Lovely people.
- Fantastic Service – thank you.
- A little strange having female assistants, but I got over that after anaesthetic. However a little too chatty for myself personally.
- Quick, efficient, generally painless and most importantly, excellent bedside manner from both the Dr but particularly Louise the assistant!